Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Year-End Summary 2010*


alcohol units consumed: 0 (excellent)
cigarettes: 0 (v.g.)
pounds lost:
pounds gained: infinite
countries visited: 22 (good)
countries visited for the first time: 15
time spent abroad: 5 months (not too shabby)
blog posts: 62 (v.g.)
nephews born: 1, and he's perfect
prison stays: 0
marriage proposals: 1 


Overall 2010 was a pretty decent year.  I visited lots of new places, tried out solo traveling, steered clear of all alcohol and tobacco consumption, became a first time aunt, and even got proposed to...although I'm not sure a Vietnamese guy on a night train from Copenhagen to Berlin (who had a big black eye from a recent bar fight) counts...but I thought I'd mention it anyway.  

January: A fantastic start to the new year.  January 13th brought the birth of my darling little nephew Mitchell.  He has brought so much joy to me this year.  I love seeing him grow and learn and if I'm in a rotten mood, as I sometimes am, all I have to do is see his adorable, little, smiling face and my cold, hard heart melts and I'm a happy person again.   


January also brought a most excellent trip to the Dominican Republic with my book club friends. 

February & March:  Spent the majority of these two months in Brazil and Argentina.  I saw the Amazon for the first time, spent some time with my parents, and traveled back to my mission as well as to other parts of Argentina and Brazil with spinster friends.

April: Spent the beginning of the month hanging out with family in Idaho and the end of the month in Europe...specifically England and Turkey.

May: Spent the entire month in Europe and visited: the Isle of Man, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Austria, and Slovakia.  

June: Added Slovenia, Italy, Liechtenstein, and the Vatican City to my list of places I've been.  Then I returned to the US of A for my cousin Alison's wedding and a few weeks spent with family. 

July: Enjoyed a fantastic 4th of July with family in Idaho before flying out to Brazil a few days later.  Spent the rest of the month in Brazil with my parents.

August: Flew from Brazil to Bolivia and spent three weeks roughing it in Bolivia while working on humanitarian projects and sightseeing.  Turned 31...which surprisingly wasn't as bad as turning 30.  I guess there isn't too much of a difference between being a 30 year-old tragic Mormon spinster and a 31 year-old one.  

September: Spent a couple of weeks in Idaho and then flew to California for a visit with friends in Northern California, followed by a solo tour of the California coast.  

October, November, & December:  Stayed pretty much grounded.  Lived in Idaho with my grandma while working at Mini Bazaar and tutoring hilarious 6th graders.  

Overall, not a bad year...especially for a 31 year-old tragic Mormon spinster, with a bottom the size of two bowling balls, suffering a major career crisis.  

Hopefully next year will be even better...or at least as good.

Happy New Year everyone!


*You really must watch Bridget Jones's Diary I and II to fully enjoy my year-end summaries and many other posts.  I own them both in edited form if anyone ever wants to have a BJD party.

8 comments:

Chris and Cindy said...

LOVE your year end summary... and bridget jones!!! I can't believe the places you've been! We still need to get together for dinner and a movie!

kiddle97 said...

I'm very glad you consumed no alcohol or tobacco this year, but I don't know why you turned down the marriage proposal. It sounded very exotic. :)

Battfam said...

Great summary! Here's to 2011 and hoping that you can maintain your good numbers on alcohol units, cigarettes, and prison stays. Hang in there!

Christa said...

I once watched the first one in edited format.....they skip scenes....and not even bad ones. I now refuse to watch the 2nd one edited. Bring on the filth.

Lucy said...

Very eventful year, I'd say. I don't think I've seen Bridget Jones, so maybe I can borrow your movies.

Jen said...

year-end summaries always make me laugh, specifically yours. it sounds like it was a fun year. I'm soooo jealous you spent 5 months out of the u s of a. :( sorry i've been a bad leech lately.

Becca's Blog said...

I do agree Christa that they over-edited parts of the BJD movies. Like in the second one they took out the whole scene where she skis into the pharmacy in Switzerland...that scene is so funny and isn't bad at all. Someday I want to become friends with someone who can do a proper edit of the BJD movies for me and only take out the really bad stuff.

Camille said...

I can't believe how much you traveled! I think you should write a post about how completely awkward your blog trolls feel when they run in to you when visiting home for the holidays!
Thanks for letting us read along. You looked great.