
Are your parents driving you crazy?...because mine are. Or at least they do sometimes.
Like this past week for example. I was getting ready to go to South America and on Wednesday I talked to my mom and asked her if there were any last minute things they wanted to add to the list of what I'm bringing them. She said they'd think on it. And I said, "well, will you think about it tonight or tomorrow morning and email me the list? Because I'd like to get all of my errands done tomorrow."
Thursday comes. No list from my parents. 'I guess they don't need me to bring anything else,' I think and I head to town (town is what we country folk call the nearest "large" city).
So, I get home later that evening and check my email and...there's the list...sent at 5 P.M. Thursday night. What? I just finished all my shopping!
And people are probably saying, "Don't be such a complainer Becca. I'm sure it wasn't a big deal to just stop by the grocery store one more time before flying out."
But what you don't understand is that quite often their lists include things that aren't easily found all at one grocery store. Their lists of things usually take quite awhile to gather. It is really a good thing I guess that I'm not employed full-time right now. I have no idea where I'd find the time to take care of putting together all the "shipments" my parents receive.
I think the thing on this last list that made me the most crazy was the request for Spitz brand cracked pepper sunflower seeds. I mean I don't mind picking up some sunflower seeds, but when you specify the flavor and the brand you kind of make my life crazy!
I went to three different grocery stores looking for them. No luck. In the end I discovered that the place to buy Spitz cracked pepper sunflower seeds is at gas stations...now I know.
Some other things on their list were Rootbeer barrels (where do you buy these...does anyone eat these? yuck!) and a box of Idaho Spud candy bars...and not everybody sells Idaho Spud candy bars these days.
And really, to shift some of the blame, a lot of the buggy things my parents ask me to bring are not for them, but for missionaries and members. But if someone says that they like something from the U.S. my parents (mostly my dad) love to be able to hook up them up. Hence the last minute requests for what I think are weird things.
My dad is sort of a people pleaser, and I guess so am I or I wouldn't do what I do.
And my parents aren't really too horribly high maintenance...they don't make me feel bad if I'm not able to get all their errands done. And they always tell me that if I don't have time that I don't need to worry about it. But I do worry about it. Because three years is a long time to go without some of your favorite things...milk, sour cream, berries, good American candy, Mexican food, peanut butter, Hershey's syrup, dill pickles, and the plethora of other good things that are not to be found in Northeastern Brazil. So I don't blame them for wanting what they want. Also, since I'm thinking there's a high chance that I will someday again live abroad, I guess I'm banking favors. And boy do they owe me!
As a side note, we have a friend from Brazil who is attending BYU-Idaho. Recently my parents had some other friends traveling from Fortaleza, Brazil to Idaho so they were able to bring the girl at BYU-Idaho a suitcase full of things from Brazil that she'd been missing. Here's the conversation I had with my mom about that suitcase full of Brazilian loot.
My mom: "OMH, you should have seen the things her parents sent her in that suitcase...dried beans, mix for cheese bread, those little potato chip slivers that Brazilians eat on top of everything. Can you believe it?"
Me: "Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, holy crappoly are you kidding me mom?...listen to yourself...do you want me to start listing all of the ridiculous things I've sent you in the last 2.5 years?"
My mom: nothing
I guess she didn't want me to start listing things.
Anyway, to each his own I guess. My parents have things they love and miss from America and Brazilians in America have things they love and miss from Brazil. I guess you like what you're used to. Although my brother Lee does try to convince every foreigner he meets that overall we have the best candy in the world. And really, we do. The Japanese have Hi-Chews, the Germans have Haribo, the Finnish have licorice, and Europe in general has chocolate, but overall, in my humble opinion, we do have the best variety and overall candy selection of any country in the world.
Anyway, back to the point at hand. In preparation for my trip I sent an email to my mom asking her if they had any dill pickles left or if she wanted me to bring another jar.
She replied, "we have two left."
To which I responded, "two jars of pickles or two pickles?"
And then she answered, "two pickles...and I ate a couple of slices off of one of them today."
And that made me want to both laugh and cry...to imagine my parents huddled around their fridge, the glow from the refrigerator light making the scene seem extra sad and depressing, looking at those last two pickles bobbing in their brine and contemplating the day they'd eat them and the sadness and emptiness that would follow when they realized that there would then be nothing else to look forward to.
So, I guess that's why I do what I do...why I let myself be driven crazy...to keep those depressing pickle hoarding moments out of my mind and off of my conscience.
Oh, and since I titled this post "Hoarding pickles and other sad things," I guess I'd better think of some other sad things.
people with really bad/missing teeth
little kids having to sell stuff in the streets
people with missing limbs
babies having their faces licked by dogs
etc.
Those things all make me sad.
What makes you sad?
What things would you have a hard time living without if you lived in another country?
What do your parents do that drives you crazy?
Yes, I am begging for comments. I might as well just come out and say it.
Later leeches...

17 comments:
You made me cry with that pickle bobbing paragraph! I've been thinking alot about your parents lately and I miss them. Please tell them hello. I know you look forward to them being home again this summer...but do you really think the church will leave them alone after this?
Thanks for sharing all your musings about your career crisis....unfortunately I am going thru the same thing at age 50. I did get interrupted by marriage and children but I still felt pushed to finish what I started back then..and now I'm done and wondering what all the pushing was for? What am I supposed to do now that I got myself an education? Do I want to work? What kind of work? What would I enjoy doing?
Who knows?
If it makes you feel any better, the 30's were wonderful years of self-discovery for me. Life is full of challenges no matter the age I guess. We just have to take comfort in that old saying that if we stay on the right path God will direct our lives and make more of them then we ever thought possible. Easier said than done I know. Have a wonderful trip to Brazil. Cindy
What makes me sad?
Other people being sad
What would I have a hard time living without if I were living in a different country?
See above list and add PAM spray and Hot Tamales
What do my parents do that drives me crazy? Can't think of anything, but I wonder if there is a book called "Are Your Kids Driving You Crazy"?
Children that wake me up when I want to be sleeping...I guess that makes me more mad then sad though....I will tell you that I cannot find NALLEY pickles in Texas. My parents brought me 12 HUGE glass bottles of them exactly one year ago...I think I have 6 left. They are in my closet. Oh, and the Falls Brand sausage I shared with you. Not available in Texas...oh and I can NOT find cheese curds here! You know like the wonderful ones at Reed's Dairy. I am sure I will think of more. Texas could be considered another country...
I only live in Ohio but there are things that I only get once a year, sometimes every other.
Here are my two that are ALWAYS on my list.
*IronPort with a splash of Cherry. I woke up with the taste of this in my mind the other morning. I want one SO bad right now.
*Raspberry filled donuts. Hostess doesn't deliver them here. WHY???
One good thing is that you get to see your parents WAY more often than we get to see ours! Probably 2 or 3 times as many times in the past 2 1/2 years. So that is a plus!
I've never been to a foreign country so I'm not sure what they wouldn't have, but I could not live without dental floss! I can't stand that feeling of fuzzy stuff on your teeth. We call them sweaters. You probably didn't know there were such weird people :) And my parents! My mom is a huge worrier. I never have to do any of that because she does all mine for me. She will call me out of the blue and say.. You know, I was just thinking about that cleaner you have under your sink and you should probably move that because Weston might get into it.. or I was thinking how we painted Saige's nails last night and you probably should just wash that off because she might put her hands in her mouth and swallow some of the nailpolish..
REALLY?
It's a little hard to handle but somehow I've managed by just reassuring her and then most times not following her suggestions at all.
But I really love my mom, and despite those things I'm glad to know that she cares about me.
BTW, your blog is great and I really think you are awesome. You have a great sense of humor..
My mom is full after two bites of food, and has the willpower to resist dessert if she wants to. That drives me crazy. :)
I just ate an entire box of hot tamales on Sunday. I agree with Lee, we do indeed have the best candy. Don't even get me started.
I think you can get rootbeer barrels at Winco in the bulk section. Good luck with the travel and finding all the wishes of their hearts. You are a great daughter.
I hope Cindy wasn't really crying for us when she read the pickle paragraph. I thought it was funny and I had a good laugh.
I will admit we hoard them though. Remember when I would cut pickles up and put the on the table and nobody would eat the ends aka "pickle bums" in our house? Well, I will admit that here we don't waste them, we savor them. Sometimes I even save the pickle juice in case Dad wants to drink it. Maybe that is a little sad.
my parents always ask me when i'm having a baby. ... really?
as a side note, i really like rootbeer barrels, but i also like banana laffy taffy.
@Cindy...did I really make you cry? I hope it was more of a laugh/cry then a cry.
@MOM...I'm sure you could write the book. I've given you plenty of material, so don't forget me when the royalties start pouring in.
@Mardi...you guys were awesome to share your Falls Brand sausage with me. The next time I come to Dallas I'll bring you a cooler full. I'm really good at traveling with perishable food. P.S. It was really fun to get to see you, even if it was just for a few hours and to see your cute house and family. Thanks!
@Cassie...I know, I've been lucky to get to see my parents a lot. However it has pretty much depleted my frequent flyer miles and savings account...so there has been a price to pay. I heard that you guys get to come this summer...it will be fun to see you all!
@Louise...your mom sounds hilariously neurotic. I'd love to meet her!
@Kirsten...my mom is pretty much the same way. She can stop herself after just a few M&M's. Crazy people!
@Christa...I love how much you love candy.
@Jessica...thanks, that's where I did end up finding the Rootbeer barrels. Who knew people really ate those?
@MOM again...I wonder what the sodium levels are of that pickle juice dad is drinking. If he ever has to go on a low sodium diet I think it will drive him insane, literally.
@Jen...from now on any candy I have that I don't like I'm going to send to you! I think we have completely opposite taste in candy!
Look at me...I just commented on everyone's comments. I must be either 1)awesome or 2)bored...or maybe both...probably both.
I always love your blog and rarely leave a comment. I'm noticing from the map, however, that you haven't spent enough time in the Northeast. I would not suggest it in the winter. Kate has shoveled more snow this year than ever. But spring or even better - fall. New England for you and you can visit Kate.
We miss Central Market that we could walk to in Seattle. It had food from EVERY country. Especially asian countries. It had the largest produce section I've ever seen and they made the tortillas right there in the store. Now that's fresh
I remember Grandma Fern sending dill pickles to Aunt Marion in Hong Kong china. Get this.... the bottle broke and everything in the box was saturated with dill pickle juice. Sad, huh?
I think right now January makes me sad...missing the sunshine.
Also, maybe the guy that called our house 4 times today to see if wanted to join the ranks of Melaluca! What? (btw, he's in our bishopric)
I would be sad without chocolate licorice, tootsie rolls, and awesome twosomes jolly ranchers. (I found two bags at Walmart the other day).
When I was in germany I missed all American food... then i found cadbury. While in China I missed all American food... then we found a snickers stand. When we lived in Wisconsin I missed Cafe Rio... then we discovered butter burgers at Culvers and fresh cheese curds (sorry mardi). So I guess what I am saying is I have never let myself lose any extra pounds I am packing!
I do miss the cupcakes and pizza in NYC the yogurt in Cali.
My mom cuts in line sometimes. She usually gets away with it too!
Let me know if you want me to bring anything down. I'd offer some cans of Pam, but I fear that they'll get stolen out of my suitcase like they did last year.
oh I would go nuts without dill pickles. I LOVE them too. I stock them in our food storage. Who needs wheat when you have pickles!?
Post a Comment