Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Latin America in one picture...

Coca-Cola and the Virgin Mary...I can't think of any picture that could better sum up Latin America than this. Well, I guess a pack of flea-ridden dogs with their skin falling off digging through a pile of trash while some kids play soccer in the background would also be a good descriptive picture. Oh, and for the record I love Latin America, but it is what it is...a Coca-Cola, Virgin Mary, soccer loving continent who doesn't spay/neuter their dogs or do a very good job picking up their trash. But I love them still the same. I took the picture at the Coca-Cola offices which are in the same building as the mission office. If the elevator stops at the 10th floor you get to pay a little homage to Mary and to Coca-Cola as the little display is right in front of the elevator doors. And speaking of La Virgin... my mom and I came across this huge statue of Mary in a plaza in Fortaleza. We drove by it one day and then decided to stop for a picture a few days later. Unfortunately, the day we stopped they were restoring Mary to some earlier glory so there was scaffolding all around and a guy walking precariously on a bent wooden board fixing Mary up. So, maybe next time I'll get a better picture. I do actually think, as far as huge statues of Mary go, that it is a pretty cool one. And you can tell she's one big mother by the size of the guy up on the scaffolding. So, hail Mary.

2 comments:

Christa said...

Holy Crap that is one large Mary.

I used crap in hopes of beefing up your rating. It caused me to get an R.

Lucy said...

Very cool statue. I often wonder what people from other countries think we have that is odd. We did have a German girl tell us that the grossest thing she tasted here was peanut butter. What the??