Friday, February 27, 2009

I need a good read...

Okay blog fans and leeches...I need your help. This summer I'll be spending five weeks in Africa working on a project for my graduate program and I need a couple of good books to read...especially because sometimes in foreign countries things run a little slower than they do in the U.S. and I might be WAITING around a lot.
So what do you suggest? I need a book or two that are really really super duper good so I won't drag the book all the way to Africa, read half of it, and then end up hating it and be like, "why the heck did I bring this all the way to Africa?"
So leave me a comment and let me know of a book or two that you LOVE and would highly recommend. Then if I chose your book and end up liking it maybe I'll bring you back something from Africa or something.
Oh, and leeches, this is a great way to come forth, leave an easy comment, and clear your good name for a month or two. Think about it.
Oh, and let's just get a few things clear right now...
Scriptures don't count...I'll already be bringing them.
I already read the Count of Monte Cristo and it was too long and the movie was better anyway.
"The Audacity of Hope" isn't an option.
BUT other than that I'm open to any suggestions and I can't wait for yours.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read The Book Thief? Super Duper good read.
This is Audrey's friend Megan. I'm mooching off her hospitality this week and she had me check out your blog cause it's so cute,And I'm not a blog leach, this is my first time stopping by.

Becca's Blog said...

Megan...stop by anytime. And I'm glad that right from the start you are not being a leech.

I'll look into THE BOOK THEIF. Sounds interesting.

Bobbi said...

You need to talk to my little sister about books. She is on a reading KICK, and is always telling me about these "fanastic" books she's reading. She is a pretty good book judge.

Becca's Blog said...

Okay, I'll talk to Geri, or better yet maybe she'll leave a comment on my blog. She should know her books...she's at least been carrying the around since she was around 3 years old. I remember she used to carry around teenage romance books and pretend to read them. So funny!

Battfam said...

I liked the Book Thief too. We read it in the Grant book club last year. You might consider getting the audio version put on your Ipod. I really liked the narrator. Grant book club is reading "So Big" by Edna Ferber this month. Maybe someone that has read that will comment and let you know what they think. I am going to be a new kind of blog leech, maybe even a parasite, and ask if anyone has read "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho and what they thought of that? I read a review of it and it sounded good, but you can't always trust reviews.

Lucy said...

I'm not much help here, but Sylvia puts books on her IPOD. Then you don't have to carry around big heavy books. She put a couple on mine, and I haven litened to them. Pretty fun!

Mardi said...

Call me crazy, but I totally got into the Twilight series. It took me only 2.5 weeks to read all four and I am NOT a reader!

Kim-may said...

so if you haven't already read these you should, any book by Mary Roach you will like, especially, STIFF. Its about what they do with dead bodies. Really interesting.

Cassie said...

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell is a great book. Don't know anyone who read it that didn't love it. (language warning: They are Navy Seals....)

Anonymous said...

Millie
Ola como vai irma Batt?
The Alchemist is one of my top 10 favorite books. Maybe even top 5. It has it all. It'll make ya think about some things...
Como esta a terra mais linda no mundo? A Onde voes estao?
tcau cada!
Megan

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

I agree with Mardi, they are kind of teenage romances, but I really liked the Twilight books. I also loved "These is my words." I can't remember who wrote it. I am so jealous you are going to Africa.

Christa said...

Alchemist = excellent.
These is My Words also ='s good. It's a quick read though. So I don't recommend taking it if you're looking to only take a few books....actually I'd say the same for the Alchemist. But the audio on the Ipod might be a good option.
I read Water for Elephants and thought it was interesting.

kate said...

I haven't really read anything since I got back except for Harry Potter VII and I am sure you have read that by now, but reading over the list, I have read Kim's suggestion of Stiff and really liked it. It seems like something you also might get into

kate said...

Kim's got it! Stiff is a good one.

Kate said...

What kind of books do you like? Mystery, comedy, fantasy etc? I have a few suggestions, I just don't know what genre you're interested in. I'm reading The Book Thief now and like it.

Becca's Blog said...

I like really any genre as long as the book is good.

Maybe not sci-fi though. I just don't know if I want to turn into one of "those people."

Tricia said...

Some of my favorites:

Daddy-Long Legs by Jean Webster
These is my Words by Nancy Turner
Jubilee by Margaret Walker
The Girl from Limberlost--Gene Porter
The Ladies Auxiliary by Tova Mirivis
Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
Austenland by Shannon Hale

Good luck!!

Amy said...

Becca,

All my book suggestions are on goodreads.com. If you sign up and become my amiga you can see them.

I just read The Hiding Place about Corrie Ten Boom and her family during the Holocaust. In my opinion, everyone should read this book at some point in their life.

I also like this blog
http://blogginboutbooks.blogspot.com/

Good luck choosing.