What's with the turtleneck and sunglasses on the beach?
Well, let me tell you. So just a few of days ago I returned from a vacation to Portugal, Morocco and Spain. I'll share more pictures and details of that trip at a later date, so don't worry everyone (MOM). On my way to Lisbon I flew through Charles de Gualle Airport in Paris. That airport has always been one of my least favorite airports in the world. For those of you who have flown there or flown through there you'll know what I'm talking about. It is just a huge, spread out, unorganized airport ran by Frenchies. Need I say more?
So not only did Air France seat me in Seat 29E (if you don't know what seat 29E is email me and I'll send you some info on that seat) on my flight from San Fransisco to Paris but then my connection between Paris and Lisbon apparently wasn't long enough and they didn't get my luggage onto the plane going to Lisbon.
Here's how the first part of my trip went...Arrive in Lisbon. Luggage not there. Think to myself, 'it must be coming still...maybe there is one more luggage container on the plane.' Time passes. Still no luggage. Think to myself 'I'm sure they didn't really lose my luggage...I have flown on over a hundred flights and they have never lost my luggage before.' Check all of the other luggage carousels. Still no luggage. Think 'this can't be happening to me.' Finally decide to accept the fact that I have no luggage and file a lost luggage form.
So to make a very long story a little shorter, I did finally get my luggage three days after getting into Lisbon. Okay, it was two and a half days, but it felt like three. In the end it didn't turn out to be that huge of a deal because: 1)I just happened to pack two pairs of Gs in my carry-on this time instead of the one pair that I usually pack. 2)I have really nice friends that loaned me clothes and toiletries. 3)I had my own toothbrush in my carry-on. 4)Air France gave me 100 Euros for my trouble...and thanks to the weak dollar that came out to be like 160 dollars. 5)Thanks to Kate making us all "Spinsters in Spain 2008" T-shirts, I actually had two shirts instead of one so I could wash one and wear the other. 6) I did eventually get my luggage.
The hardest part about it all was just the not knowing. They didn't know for sure where my luggage was or when (if ever) I was going to get it. Turns out it was sitting (probably out in the rain because it was wet when I got it) at Charles de Gualle Airport the whole time. Because they didn't have any answers for me I of course just started imagining that I was never going to see my stuff again. Some of it would have been easily replaceable but there were some things in my bags that I couldn't even think of how I was going to replace. Such as; this awesome off-white lacy undershirt thing that goes with everything, my running pants that I love and am very attached to, and my swimming suit (because I really hate shopping for a swimming suit and didn't want to have to do it again anytime soon). And besides, if I hadn't gotten my luggage soon what would I have worn for two weeks?...it's not like fat girl clothes are easy to come by in Europe.
I am always freezing cold on planes. That's why I wore a turtleneck in the first place. I'll maybe layer next time so I won't end up at the beach again in a turtleneck and sunglasses. I don't think I'll have to worry about losing my luggage anytime soon though. It's not my turn for another 100 flights or so. Just pack as if you'll never see your luggage again. Who knows, your turn may be coming up soon.
4 comments:
Well, being that I too am a victim of lost luggage (one which i boxed up cuz they woudn't let me take as a carry on but let my sister Bobbi through with a FULL bottle of expensive parfume!) on our trip back from Orange County. Yeah, not fun especially when I had to call 5 days after we got back to Idaho to see WHEN my luggage could be expected and WHERE it was!?!
Needless to say, they lost it within a completely different airlines!!! WHAT THE?!?!
Also Becca, I just wanted to tell you that "That shirt makes you look CUTE!"
You should have mentioned that you hugged and kissed your luggage when it did finally arrive. At least that's what you told me. I wasn't there, so I don't know if you actually did that, but it wouldn't have surprised me. You always enjoy a little extra drama and comedic relief.
I am so impressed that you had not one, but two pair of undies in your purse. YOu may be one of those "prepared" people. Good on ya.
i like the turtle neck and shirt. good job
Post a Comment