Saturday, July 21, 2012

Batman and Bird Feeders

I'm getting old.  

Really old.  

The other day I went to my parents' house and saw a hummingbird feeder in its package sitting on the kitchen counter.  

And, with eyebrows turned down in sadness and a frown on my face, thought to myself, 'holy moly, I'm old...I'm now the age of person who has parents who are at the age where they buy bird feeders.'  

Yes, I have parents who buy bird feeders.  And that makes me feel old.  

So, I decided that I better start doing more youthful things.  Things I should have done when I was younger but didn't.  

And one of those things was going to a movie premier.  Shenanigans like staying up to 4 a.m. to see a movie that you could see the next day at a normal hour, are normally reserved for the young.  So I decided to pretend that I'm still young and I, along with some siblings and cousins, went to the 12:02 showing of Batman 3.  

It was great.  First of all, I think Christian Bale is incredibly good looking, as long as he's not too skinny or has too much facial hair, like he sometimes gets (not attracted to overly skinny or hairy guys).  


And then Christian Bale as Batman...double good.  Actually Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne is the best...cause his beautiful face isn't covered up.  

The movie was great, the company was even better, I got to fulfill a youthful dream, and, we got to celebrate Lee's birthday...all in one.  

Unfortunately, due to a California-raised Colorado-residing psychopath, my first movie premier is now an infamous one.  So sad for all those people affected. 

Anyway, I'm trying to do more youthful things.  

Recently, I joined a motorcycle gang...


and rode a Honda 50 around my little town in my pajamas/summer leisure clothes...scaring everyone who saw me...both by riding a motorcycle and by wearing my pajamas/summer leisure clothes in public.  

Next on my list...going back to my youthful/immature past by:

*Throwing water balloons at unsuspecting people
*Going ice-blocking
*Tie-dying something
*Firecrackering

And, doing things I should have done in my younger years but didn't, like:

*Reading Harry Potter
*Watching Star Wars
*Going to the Hare Krishna Festival of Colors (anyone else study and work too much at BYU and miss doing this typical BYU activity?)

Any other suggestions of things I should do to feel young again or should do for the first time before I get any older?  Maybe help someone move with pizza as payment?  Go paint-balling?  Laser tag?

Anyway, all I know is, seeing that hummingbird feeder sitting on my parents' counter was a rude awakening and made me realize that I'd better do all the stupid stuff I can, before it becomes any more ridiculous that I do stupid stuff. 

So, here's to doing all the stupid stuff we can...before we start buying bird feeders ourselves!  

P.S.  If you're already to the bird feeder buying stage, it's not too late.  Return it and come do fun and stupid stuff with me!  I won't judge.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I want to go and buy a bird feeder.

Battfam said...

Hey, it was Dad, not me, that bought the hummingbird feeder. You should have seen the one he came home first with. It was in the shape of a huge plastic strawberry. So bad. I said I just couldn't look out the window every day and see that hanging from the tree. Now he tells me that hummingbirds are attracted to red and we won't have as many hummingbirds come because I made him take back the red plastic strawberry feeder. But I mixed up the nectar for it and it is red, so maybe it will still attract them. One more thing, the instructions say you are supposed to wash the feeder out every week or so and thinking back on how well we did with the washing thing with the aquarium we had once, the hummingbird feeder might not last long. You won't have to bear that reminder of your age for long probably.

kiddle97 said...

Well, having had the sad misfortune of living in California for the past 10-ish years, I am sorry to say that dude wasn't the only psychopath. Now there are riots in Anaheim because a gang member got shot this weekend by a police officer after trying to flee while attacking said police officer with either a gun or rocks or some other weapon. Ugh.

On a happier note, I had to teach piano this morning in my pajamas (which means, redundantly, that I wore no bra) with no make-up and uncombed hair when my piano student showed up today instead of Thursday and knocked and rang the doorbell for five minutes. No wonder he wouldn't go away. (It's my policy to try not to answer the door when I am bra-less with a freaky face/hair combo). Poor kid. Anyway, he made it through the impromptu lesson and seemed normal enough afterward, so I think there is hope for all of your victims of pajama/summer leisure clothes.

I'm glad you posted today. It made me laugh when a few minutes ago I was ranting to Brent about the swimming pool people who keep screwing up my poor son's swimming lessons.

Becca's Blog said...

Haaaaaaa Kirsten...I loved your bra-less piano teaching story. I hope you at least brushed your teeth!

Mil...thank you for convincing dad to return the strawberry shaped one. That would have been so much worse. And yes, if you have to clean it weekly, let's be honest, it's not going to last long.