In April my mom and I headed off on a little vacay (actually more of a trip than a vacay...I don't think your feet hurt so bad on vacation) to NYC and DC. Neither of us really know how the trip came about for sure. I'm blaming her and she's blaming me for making the trip happen, which, in turn, caused us to spend a lot of money and eat a lot of pizza.
Somehow it started with my mom wanting to go to San Francisco to look into a possible business opportunity and ended up with us going to NYC and DC with no business intentions whatsoever. Since this is my blog I'm just going to go ahead and say that I'm pretty sure it was her fault.
It had been nearly 14 years since I'd been to DC, and although I was in NYC less than a year ago, I had never (before this trip) spent much time in NYC...just a day on my way to India last year and a day or two 14 years ago. So I was due for a visit. And my mom definitely was, as she'd never been to either place.
And so we went...
to NYC!
And we walked and walked and subway'd everywhere, which compensated for some of our pizza and cupcake consumption.
We wanted to stay on Manhattan so we'd be in the center of everything but we didn't want to pay the outrageous Manhattan hotel prices. So, luckily, I found a website called airbnb where you can rent apartments short term instead of a hotel room. Some of these apartments are people's own apartments that they rent out while they're on vacation or something, and others, like the one we rented, was just from a lady who owns several apartments in the city that she rents out.
The apartment was great...it was clean, in a quiet Central Park East neighborhood, and was just two blocks from the 77th Street Subway stop. And it was a third of the price of a Manhattan hotel. I'd definitely rent a room on airbnb again.
We took one of those nerdy double-decker open-top tourist buses to get some tours of the city. This provided us with a good view and feel for the city (because when you just take the subway everywhere you don't get that), some good information about the city, and some super messy hair.
Neither of us had seen Wicked yet so we decided it was high time we did. And it definitely exceeded our expectations.
A view looking back at NYC and the Brooklyn Bridge
Amazing pizza from Grimaldi's. It was soooo good. It's a good thing I don't live in NYC because I'd want it at least weekly. A local New Yorkian told us that the reason NYC's pizza and bagels are so good is because of the waaaada (water). And I don't know whether it was the waaaada or not, but it was good...like in my top three best pizza places ever...with the other in my top three being: Pizzeria 712 (in Orem, Utah) and a little pizzeria I went to (embarrassingly multiple times) during my short stay in Florence, Italy.
Mil walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, with a giant orb on her forehead.
At the Fox News building. My mom developed a crush on/appreciation for Neil Cavuto while living in Brazil and my dad always teases her about it...so we had to get a picture with Neil's poster.
My mom making her Greta Van Susteren face. My mom came home from the dentist all numbed up one day recently and my dad started calling her Greta...after that, we knew my mom could make the face so when we passed Greta's poster I talked her into doing it. I'd feel bad about making fun of Greta, but she's super rich. And if I were that rich I'd be fine with people making fun of me...I'd be like, 'say whatever you want about me...I'm loaded suckas.'
Inside the NY public library...such a beautiful building. Whatever happened to rich people building gorgeous buildings for society? Now rich people just spend money on botox and their dogs, and probably botox for their dogs.
Outside of the library...such a beautiful building.
We got caught in a little traffic on one of our bus tours. My mom and I both noticed the lack of honking because in Fortaleza, Brazil, the biggest city we're both more familiar with, they honk horns like it's going out of style. We kinda couldn't believe that nobody was honking a horn and I decided that there wasn't any horn honking because Americans are more civilized than Brazlians and they know that honking their horn isn't going to help the situation any. But then we saw the above sign.
Dang. I guess we aren't all civilized...we just have lots of rules and fines. But I'm fine with fines, as long as I'm not the one being fined.
We went out to Ellis Island one afternoon. As far as I know, I don't have any ancestors who came through Ellis Island...I think the latest ones missed it by just a few years, but it's still a pretty cool place anyway, and gives you a good feel for how immigration was back in those days.
The main hall where everybody stood in line...
and Ellis Island's lost and found luggage section...
and Mil with Ellis Island in the background.
And then of course we cruised around the Statue of Liberty. It's cool in and of itself but is especially cool because of its location near Ellis Island and what it symbolized to immigrants coming to the U.S. in the early 20th Century.
We spent a good chunk of one day at the Empire State Building. For those of you who haven't been to the top of the Empire State Building, let me just tell you...it's not like in the movies. You don't just take an elevator and within minutes you're up at the top.
Instead, here's how it goes. You stand in a line to get into the building. Then you get into the building and you think "good, there are the elevators." Except they aren't the right elevators, they're just the ones that take you up to where you stand in line to go through airport-like security. Then you go through security (after standing in line for a long time) and you see that after security there's another huge line. But you think to yourself, "we've already gone through the security line, we may as well wait in this line and go to the top." And then after you wait in that line you realize that there's another line and you say, "should we just go?" But then you don't want to have completely had the time you've already spent waiting to be pointless (and you've already paid to ascend)...you want to at least go to the top. So you move from line to line, to one set of elevators and then another and it takes FOREVER...like hours.
And even though you don't just get to speed to the top like Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle and meet your soul mate, it's still pretty great getting to the top. Mostly because it means that you're finally done standing in line.
Here's a pic of NYC from the top. You can see the Chrysler Building on the left...it's one of my favorite buildings in NYC.
Mil, so glad to be at the top, with a giant orb on her head.
We survived the lines and got to stand at the top of a famous building. I'm glad I did it, but I don't think I ever will again. So, I'm glad I got a picture. I just wish there wasn't a giant orb on my chest. What's with all the orbs?
Another view from the Empire state. You can also get really great views from the top of 30 Rock too and it's cheaper, and way less time-consuming. So, I'd recommend that instead of the Empire State.
Here I am in the lobby...it's a pretty cool building but is not worth the lines.
Part of the reason we decided to visit the top of the Empire State Building is because we bought New York Passes and by doing so had pre-paid for several of the more touristy things in NYC. Since my mom hadn't been to NYC before and I hadn't done too many typical touristy things besides hanging out in Central Park and seeing a Broadway show, we decided it would be a good thing to make us do all the typical touristy things.
And, having the pass did get us to do things we might not have normally done, like...
ride bikes in Central Park and
take a tour of the NBC studios from the NBC pages. Unfortunately our page wasn't Kenneth Parcell, but I still loved the tour because we got to see the SNL cast rehearsing and my favorite male SNL cast member, Jason Sudeikis, was rehearsing with Sofia Vergara. It was pretty awesome. Touring the Doctor Oz. studio, however, was a borefest.
Me, in front of the NBC studios.
Anyway, although I really loved riding bikes in Central Park and taking an NBC tour (both things I wouldn't have probably done if I hadn't purchased the New York pass), I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you have at least a full week in NYC. Because, you don't want to spend all your time in NY trying to run around getting your money's worth out of a pass. You need time to just wander and get lost. That's what makes a trip great...having time to just explore with no agenda.
I just love how this old little church in the financial district is literally crammed between two skyscrapers. That's one of the things I most love about NYC...just the history and the mix between old and new.
Me @ the LDS Temple in Manhattan.
My mom at the Met. I love the Met. If I lived in NYC I'd go there every rainy day.
I love NYC. It's definitely one of my very favorite cities in the world. If I were rich I'd have an apt there. I just love the mix of people from all over the world, the history, the food, the fashion...it's just a fascinating city...probably tied with London for my favorite big city.
Anyway, after four fabulous days in NYC, we hopped on the Amtrak and headed to D.C.
We got there Saturday night and Sunday morning we headed out on an adventure to find the LDS Temple and a nearby Sacrament Meeting sans car. Our travels included a metro ride, a bus ride, a long hike, and a little hitchhiking of sorts.
This is me on the long hike part.
We finally made it to the temple...a little sweaty and tired however.
Well, I guess I was the sweaty and tired one. My mom looked great.
We scheduled our trip to try to be in D.C. to see the Cherry Blossoms. It was the 100th anniversary of Japan's gift of thousands of cherry trees to the United States, and, although we were there for the anniversary celebrations, we, due to the extra warm Spring, missed the actual cherry blossoms. Sad.
But we were there when most everything else was in bloom...
and I loved seeing all the color everywhere.
The next day a nice little Idaho intern gave us a tour of the Capitol Building, but we forgot to take any pictures of us in front of the Capitol...
so here's one inside by the Brigham Young statue.
And of course we had to check out Arlington...
I loved this little white tree.
And the Smithsonian...
even though I'm not a huge fan of Lincoln anymore.
Even though I hadn't been to D.C. for 14 years, my mom still made me be her tour guide...
so here I am studying up for the next location. I think I was a darn good tour guide...but I may have pushed us a bit much, since neither of us could walk for about a week after returning home. Maybe that's why I didn't earn a tip. Oh well, the damage wasn't permanent...and I just wanted to make sure my mom saw all the main sites.
One day we took the metro and a bus out to Mount Vernon. It's such a beautiful place. The setting is absolutely amazing. Although, based upon a visit there 14 years ago, it's a super hot and humidly disgusting place in the summer. I bet George (and Martha) had 10 inch pits during the summer months.
Here's Mil with the view from Georgie's mansion...
and us in front of the mansion itself.
Here I am on the Mount Vernon grounds...they have pretty trails everywhere that you can bike/hike, if you're so inclined.
And everything was in bloom (except the cherry trees), or maybe there aren't any there. As I recall George was a chopper of cherry trees.
The grounds were pretty much the same as I remember them being 14 years ago, but they now have this really great museum at Mount Vernon. There's even a theater where they show a movie about the Revolutionary War and when it snows in the movie, it snows in the theater. Pretty cool.
Anyway, the museum displays are really nicely done. My favorite display had to be of George's dentures. Contrary to popular belief, they were not made of wood, but rather hippopotamus ivory and human and animal teeth. Gross/cool. I guess over the course of George's life he had several pair of false teeth. He started losing teeth in his 20's and I think only had one real tooth left by the time he was inaugurated as president. Problems with his teeth plagued him nearly his whole adult life. And he still did awesome things.
I have things I hate about myself that plague me constantly...things about myself that are in the back of my head during every waking moment. But if George was an awesome first President of the United States with his sucky teeth, then maybe I can do great things too, even with all my problems...at least aspire to be president of the local Rotary Club or something.
Anyway, I know this sounds weird, but I really liked learning about George and his teeth (or lack thereof). It made him seem like a real person to me...not just a figure from the history books.
And I also learned how much the people of his day revered him...some even seemed to think of him as a sort of demigod, as seen in this statue in the Smithsonian...
and he may have been an awesome person and president, but I have serious doubts about the accuracy of his abs and pecs as depicted in the above piece of art...serious doubts.
and some other stuff...
like the old Post Office building that I'm standing in front of.
If our trip to NYC and DC had a theme it would have to be eating and walking...and eating and walking, and then eating and walking some more. Luckily the two sort of balance each other out.
In NYC we focused our eating energies on cupcakes and pizza...and in DC we focused on cupcakes and ethnic food.
We were looking for the world's best cupcake. And, after all we ate, we decided that the cupcakes we make at home are as good or better than any we bought. We still had some very tasty cupcakes though and were glad we tasted all we could.
We also had some delicious Ethiopian food since DC has a lot of great Ethiopian restaurants. It kinda looks unappetizing, but I promise, it is pretty delicious. Besides, you get to eat with your hands and it's totally PC.
We also ate Lebanese and Indian food while in D.C. Yum!
So, we went to our nation's capital and ate food from any nation but our own. It was just nice to be somewhere with a little more food variety than we have in Idaho.
By the end of the trip we could barely walk. We spent eight days traveling and never took a car or taxi anywhere...just our feet and public transportation.
The last day we had a little extra time and were two blocks away from Ford's Theater, so I asked my mom if she wanted to go see it.
And she said, "nah, my feet hurt too bad."
And I didn't care.
Because my feet hurt too.
And besides, I don't really like Abraham Lincoln anymore.
But I do love George Washington... impeccable pecs, or not.
So thanks George, and mom, for a great and memorable trip!
13 comments:
How fun! I say you and I take our moms on a trip together someday. That would be cool.
My favorite line: "I have serious doubts about the accuracy of his abs and pecs as depicted in the above piece of art...serious doubts."
And glad to hear that London is also a top big city. Looking forward to you coming by for a visit...once the baby learns that crying will get you nowhere. ;)
it looks like a spendid trip (even though i didn't read your whole post.. just being honest here...)
fyi, the "little white tree" is a dogwood and is the state tree of virginia. my husband grew up there and i've heard many-a stories about pulling flowers off of it and being afraid of getting arrested.
p.s. i'm glad you're back to blogging.
p.p.s. tell kim and lee to finish their house already so they can get back to normal life.
the end.
So I'll guess you'll be coming back to DC when I move there....
Your mom is as adorable as ever.
It took us about 5 hours (or more...) to get to the top of the Empire State building. You're not kidding about the lines. And to top it off, we went in blustery March, so our views were limited to clouds. I still love New York though.
Oh, and regarding my bra-less piano lesson, I did brush my teeth first, but that was AFTER initially opening the door to see who it was, and, upon seeing who it was, I sent him away. I then brushed my teeth and realized I could go ahead and teach him as long as his mom signed a release saying that she wouldn't sue me for traumatizing him. I thought at first that he did surprisingly well, and remained as normal and (hopefully as) innocent as he was when he first rang my doorbell, but the more I think about it, the more fearful I am that he will choose not to continue piano lessons in September. Oops.
Christa, I'll come visit you for sure!...as long as we can go to Mount Vernon and see George's teeth...they're so cool, I promise.
When are you moving?
Kirsten...I'm glad you had her sign a waiver. I bet he'll realize later in life how much that one braless piano lesson traumatized him and he'll want to sue you...but you have the waiver! So you're safe.
Corrine...yeah, make sure to train that baby from day one that crying will get you nowhere! Haaaaa I love it! Good luck with that. I'll still visit you sometime, even if little Ursula does cry sometimes...but I'll wait until it's just sometimes...and not all the time.
Jen, no need to be honest. I don't expect people (besides my mom) to read my long trip posts. They're more for me for record keeping than for anything. If you think this one was long, just wait for one I'm working on about India...it's a doozy!
P.S. I'm glad I didn't pull any flowers off of the dogwood tree. I'd hate to go to jail...especially on vacation!
Looks like a great trip. I'm glad you got it posted. Never been there myself....it's kind of overwhelming I'm thinking.
Thanks for being my guide on the trip. I loved it and wouldn't mind going back. Next time let's not walk so much we lose the feeling in our toes though. That was weird.
That looks like a great trip! Glad you are doing well!
I thoroughly enjoyed your post and now I want to go back. I went in high school and was too young to pay attention or appreciate much. Those 2 places are intriguing to me and I would love to learn more. Maybe we will chat more about that later....
What a fun trip. I haven't been in ... 10 years. You reminded me that I really want to do it again.
Layne came home yesterday telling me something funny that Cavuto said on his show (he listened to it on his drive home from work) and I told him about Aunt Millie's crush. That made his day.
Post a Comment