On Sunday, July 10th, my parents gave their mission report to a packed house at our church. My parents, in my humble opinion, did a fantastic job on their talks. I'm glad so many of their friends and family came to the meeting to support them.
After church we had a little dinner (also known as the feeding of the 5000) with family and some of my parents' missionaries who had come into town for their meeting.
We had sloppy joes and hot dogs, garnished with little Brazilian and American flags.
We had lots of other delicious food...fruit salad, veggie trays, potato chips, crockpot potatoes, almond nut balls, cookies, and dream cake. Yum!
It was such a nice day that most people chose to eat outside. We were even lucky enough not to have any wind...which is pretty much a miracle in Idaho.
It was nice of so many missionaries to make the effort to come to the report and dinner. My mom and dad enjoyed having the chance to visit with them.
We had seven tables set up in the basement and another two upstairs, but because it was such a nice day and the majority ate outside, we didn't even hardly use the tables we set up.
My dad said it had always been his dream to have a stock waterer full of ice and pop at a party. So we decided that since this would be the last time our family would ever have to throw such a big party (hopefully), there was no better time than this to fulfill my dad's dream. When it came down to it though it was decided that an old wash tub would be a lot more classy, and Sabbath-like. And besides, I'm not sure we had any new stock waterers on hand...and I'm not sure our dinner guests would have appreciated dingleberries floating in with their pop and ice.
At the end of the day we found about 20 cans of pop opened up with only one sip gone...signature child move. But it was still fun to have the pop and we were glad we could somewhat fulfill one of my dad's dreams.
We decorated with Brazilian and American flags and beans...since Brazilians love their beans.
My mom with Aunt Ellen and grandma
My parents posed for a pic with some of the missionaries who came to their report.
Al and Mil sipping a soda after a long and busy day.
The party is over...now what?
Since we hadn't gotten around to taking a family picture at the airport when my parents flew in I forced (literally) my family to take a picture together at the end of the day. The lighting wasn't particularly good when we took a picture, but oh well, a picture is a picture I guess.
The feeding of the 5000 was a wild party...so wild in fact that my car got keyed by one of the child visitors at the party. Since the big scratch was in the form of a "Z" I'm thinking that it might have been a child who had recently seen the movie Zorro.
Unfortunately since I have approximately 1000 cousins who each have approximately 5000 children and approximately 95% of those children had no parental supervision approximately 98% of the time, I don't know who to blame/send the bill to for my car keying job.
But since we have this sign...
posted in our gym, I guess I should just fine all my cousins and pay for my car repair that way. That might not go over so well with family relations though...
So instead I think I'll just sell the car, lest I feel wrath for all my cousins and their children every time I see my car and am reminded of the incident.
Anybody looking for a dark silver 2009 Honda Civic with approximately 32,500 miles on it and a large "Z" scratched into the rear driver's side door? If so, let me know.
Or if anybody wants a barely used 64 gig iPod touch I'm selling that too. No, it wasn't damaged at the party, but I bought it just a couple of months ago and then decided to buy an iPhone so now I have no need for it. Let me know and I'll give you a great deal.
Peace out people.
4 comments:
It was a fun day. Thanks for taking some pictures and posting them. I can't seem to get in the blog groove. Too bad I fixed enough food for two times the amount of people that were here. I'm really getting tired of sloppy joes.
Also, relax about the Z on the car. I think Aunt Lucy could fix that with a black sharpie, don't you?
I'll trade you one Zorro civic for my Suzy the Suzuki. You won't regret it, I promise. At least not immediately......
Looks like you had a lot of fun. Curtis and I have been shopping around for an iPod touch and haven't bought one yet so me might be interested. Let me know how much.
Great pictures! It was so fun to see pictures of your Mom and Dad and the rest of your family. Your parents haven't changed a bit (I haven't seen them for lots of years)! Glad they are home safe and sound...
Post a Comment