Even the best of parents make mistakes sometimes.
Parents aren't always right.
Some parents scar their child's self esteem early in life by buying Baby Bangs...
Other parents find creative uses for duct tape...
And some do interesting things to help their child enjoy a trip to the zoo.
Parents sometimes resort to sketchy means of transportation, like here...
and here.
And, occasionally parents inadvertently encourage neo-Nazism,
or obese-ism.
My parents always told me that I should accept any church calling I'm ever asked to do...and I'm not sure they were right about that.
Obviously they have never been asked to work in the nursery.
However, the jury is still out on whether or not I absolutely despise working in the nursery.
Because one minute I'm like, "oh, these kids are darling, I've got to get me some of these."
And the next minute I want to move away ASAP and therefore passively get out of this calling forevermore.
Anyway, today it was my turn to teach the "lesson." They didn't hardly listen, at all...to my wonderful lesson on gratitude that I so thoughtfully prepared during Sacrament Meeting. Little ingrates.
But really, nursery isn't all that bad. It's getting better really. I might even start to like it someday.
Might.
Someday.
I think my main gripe really has less to do with the kids, the fact that I babysit for free for two hours every Sunday, the fact that I've ended up with snot on my dress two out of three weeks, the fact that I go to church but don't really get much out of church, or the fact that quite often the parents are more of a problem than the kids are...
and, more to do with how much nursery has limited my wardrobe.
I already had troubles when it came to knowing what to wear to church. My wardrobe was already severely limited.
And when I accepted the calling I knew that I would have to eliminate all dry-clean-only clothes from my already limited wardrobe. But I guess I didn't anticipate having to also eliminate: any outfits involving uncomfortable heels (or heels at all for that matter), anything delicate or hand washable because I would have to wash my skirts after every wear, any outfits involving jewelry of basically any sort, any skirts or dresses I can't kneel and sit in, and anything I don't want to get completely ruined.
So, I vote that we approve leisure suits or sweat pants as appropriate Sunday attire for nursery leaders. All in favor, say aye.
But really, I kind of like just hanging out and playing with kids...especially the cute and well-behaved ones. So I can't say that nursery is all bad.
And, if I play my cards right and get my life figured out and get a full-time job and move somewhere with a Singles Ward, then I guess I'll be free of nursery forever.
All I know is that if I'm ever asked to accept a calling with the word "scout" or "girls camp" or anything like unto, I'm ignoring my parents' advice and running away...running like the wind. Because, everyone knows that parents aren't ALWAYS right.







8 comments:
aye. i just don't like anyone's snot-nosed kids. what is it with dirty kids? like the ones i'm watching today. i'm running out of clorox wipes. i just need to wear plastic gloves when they are here. maybe then i wouldn't feel like my skin is crawling. thanks for the vent session. i needed it. :)
You are such a big talker. You know you'll accept whatever job you get asked to do. You'll probably miss this one when it's over too. Hang in there, you wimp.
One day a kid in nursery wiped her nose on my hand during ring around the rosies. It's like working in a petri dish. Watch out, you will catch every virus going around.
Aye, aye! (Cap'n?) And amen! And thanks for the laughs! And GOOD LUCK!
Amen, Greg and I just got called to the nursery and now have more motivation to find a house and move out of the ward. We are totally for the leisure suits. We thought that the dress code for church should change if you are in the nursery. It will be fun at the next family party. I am sure we will have lots of fun nursery stories to share.
Diana
AYE! All I can say is that I am soooo glad that I don't have that calling... But my kid is probably the one wiping her nose on the leaders' skirt.... Best of Luck! My favorite part of Sunday is dropping her off and having 1 1/2 hours to myself!!! (is that bad?!?) AND those pictures are toooo funny!
Duh, like I worked in the nursery for 1 year. Dad
Well Dad, you never talked about it...you must have blocked that year of your life out.
And why did you throw the "like" in there? Just wondering.
But thanks for the comment. I think it's my first comment ever from you...better not be the last.
Post a Comment