Monday, May 24, 2010

Live from a hang gliding landing field in Switzerland...it's Becca's Blog!

I'm alive and well after my first hang gliding experience.  I wasn't even really planning on hang gliding when I came to Switzerland but I guess that the area I'm in is famous for hang gliding and paragliding so I figured I'd better do it while I'm here, am somewhat young, and don't have any dependents. 

And, I figured that if I wanted to try out hang gliding there probably isn't a more beautiful place in the world to do it besides Interlaken, Switzerland.  And I've heard that hang gliding is way more cool than paragliding and since I've already been skydiving and parasailing I figured that I've already had that kind of experience. 



So, here's the view from near where we took off from.  Basically hang gliding is just strapping wings to your back and jumping off a mountain.  It's super cool and isn't scary at all...I promise. 



I don't know why he took of a picture of me flexing my muscles because:
1)I don't have any muscles
2)hang gliding tandem doesn't really take any skill or strength (although it is the only way you can go without A LOT of training)
3) pictures where you flex your non-existent or existent muscles are pretty dumb.


Right after take off.  You just run down the hill and the next thing you know you're flying in the sky.  Pretty amazing. 


I wasn't really scared...at all. 


In fact, because he could tell I wasn't the scared type my hang glide master, Bernie, even did some tricks in the air for me like drops and loopty loops.  It was pretty cool.  I love the falling feeling and the only way you really get it is if you do stalls and loops so I had him do as many as possible.  Totally safe MOM, totally safe...I promise. 


In the middle of one of the loopty loops...


more flying...


Flying like a bird in the sky.  I'm now pretty dang jealous of all the birds I see.  They are so lucky...except when people shoot them.  That's not so lucky. 


Flying over the lake.  I don't know what it's called.  They have lots of lakes in Switzerland.  Gorgeous!



Back safe and sound...with even time to take the typical thumbs up picture.  Okay, I'm not telling the truth...this picture was actually taken BEFORE I went hang gliding.  Do you think my hair would look that great AFTER having a helmet on? Yeah right. 

Hang gliding was super cool and it didn't feel unsafe.  I highly recommend it and Bernie my Australian hang gliding guy was great...so when you come to Interlaken make sure to leave time for hang gliding.  You won't regret it!

Oh, and why are extreme sport people often from Australia or New Zealand?...my skydiving guy was from there too.  What's up with that? 


11 comments:

Battfam said...

I'm glad your post didn't say, Dead from a hang gliding place in Switzerland. That does look fun, and it is very beautiful there. Did you see anybody my age trying it?

Cassie said...

Fun! and beautiful too.

Christa said...

Bring back Bernie. He seems nice. Well except for his pants. Those are gross. Or weird.

Lucy said...

Now that really does look fun! What a great time.

kiddle97 said...

So awesome Becca. One question though (and please don't think me doofusy! I've just never been hang-gliding!): how'd you get the pictures taken? I guessed that there was a camera attached somewhere, but how would you know it was taking your picture when you were looking that direction? Can you explain it for a very grounded and very boring person like me? Thanks ever so.

Becca's Blog said...

MOM...there were people way older than you...you could totally do it. Or at least paragliding...I saw a 5 year old kid paragliding (tandem of course)...it was so cute.

Christa, I'd bring Bernie back for you (as he's not really my type) but he's married. Sorry.

And Kirsten, they just have a camera mounted to a moveable pole that is hooked to the hang glide. I guess it is wired so he can control it remotely but I really didn't pay too much attention. Bernie even had his ipod and a speaker wired up there so we could have music while we flew, so I guess the camera wasn't too big of a deal either.

Battfam said...

I was going to say something about Bernie's pants too, but thought I was just being old-fashioned. BUT since Crista brought it up, I know it wasn't just me. Just as a general rule, I don't think guys should wear animal prints.

Jen said...

i was too distracted by his creepy pants to notice anything else. i don't really think anyone should wear animal prints, at least ones THAT creepy....

Candace said...

I have always (well, maybe not always, but for a really long time) wanted to go hang gliding. It looks like it was a lot of fun and a perfect place to go! Becca, you do the coolest things.

Tay Pam Smith said...

Looks like you're having so much fun! It's been fun seeing the places you've been and reading what you're up to! Have fun!

Corrine said...

Interlaken is one of my most favorite places in the world! I wish I was brave enough to enjoy hang gliding, but I'm not sure the instructor would want me to pee on him mid-flight. ;)

Where are you now? Really good to see you, let's do it again!