Look what came in the mail.
Great, now what?
I know, I know...I need to get a job, but I really am enjoying being a Stay At Home Spinster (SAHS) right now.
I wish there was a bigger market for SAHSs because I think I'd make a great one. I wouldn't play Farmville or watch Judge Judy and I wouldn't be like Paris Hilton. I would do humanitarian projects, help old ladies cross the street, plan trips for people (and myself), blog, babysit, help the needy and downtrodden, and maybe even write a book or something.
But, unfortunately, being a SAHS isn't a very realistic occupation for me as I'm not a rich heiress or Powerball winner. So I know that I need to start looking for a job soon, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. I just need to enjoy freedom from Adam's curse a little longer...take a few more deep breaths of life before I get back into a suffocating career.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind working. I like to be productive and contribute to society blah blah blah, but I just am not interested in a career per se. Most things that pay well enough to support my rock n' roll lifestyle don't interest me. And maybe I shouldn't expect to find something I enjoy to do...maybe I just have to suffer through the next 35 years of life...but, then I read quotes like this one from Henry B. Eyring's dad:
"You ought to find something [for a career] that you love so much that when you don’t have to think about anything, that’s what you think about."
and I get all confused. Because I know what I love to do and what I think about when I don't have to be thinking about anything else, but I don't know how to turn that into a career. How do you turn travel, teaching, and writing into a career?
Anyway, enough about me and all my problems with making life decisions...how are all of you, blog readers and leeches alike?
10 comments:
There has GOT to be a way to make money being SAHSs. We are so awesome at it. And sadly, I don't think about nursing when I'm not thinking about anything.
Oh, and congrats on the degree. :)
Congratulations on our degree! Good luck on deciding on a career. Maybe you could work for Red Cross...disaster unit. You travel lots, help people, and get to see all kinds of disasters. oops, last one may not be a plus. Donna Kirkham did it for years. She must have enjoyed it somehow.
Congrats on your degree.
I'm not sure why my mom has decided to take claim of your degree, did she help you with your homework once?
I wish I knew what to tell you, but alas, I don't, except that I am very proud of you for getting the Masters degree and for rocking that statistics class that was such a beast. Maybe we can figure out the meaning of life when you come visit next week, or maybe we'll just go to the beach.
So I was watching some HGTV this past week. And one of the shows is where someone wants to buy a house and they are shown 3 different ones and they choose a home out of those three. Well this episode happened to have been in Costa Rica. I considered packing my bags and becoming a real estate agent down there. Seriously all you need to know how to walk around a house. I'm great at doing that. And in fact, I'm passionate about it.
Or you could be a flight attendant. Remember when Kim and I were going to do that? Or maybe she never told you. I even went and interviewed. Sometimes I still think about it. But that's mostly when I want to go on vacation and don't want to buy a plane ticket. And then I think about people touching my butt to get my attention and I lose interest again.
Long comment. Hope it was entertaining.
what christa failed to mention is the crazies that interviewed for the flight attendant position. you should ask her to tell you the stories sometime. they still haunt my nightmares.
i hate the "man" and working just as much as the next girl. i wish i had any suggestions to give. you could always eat your weight in banana laffy taffies and feel my pain............
I don't even remember the crazies...I've clearly blocked the memories they were so painful.
Okay, so I thought about it for a while and I came up with a couple of jobs. You could write for National Geographic. That would at least involve travelling and writing. You could also work for a travel magazine or write travel books. I think you could total do any of those.
Welcome to the club of not knowing what you want to do with the rest of your life. Living in the now is highly underrated. Just have fun and take it one day at a time. If you don't need to work - don't! It's all about you being happy!
Post a Comment