Thursday, November 10, 2011

Not so AW-SOME!

A few weeks ago my mom and I were at an event for women, and as part of the event they had a spelling bee for kids.  As we passed by the spelling bee we overheard a girl being asked by the spelling bee moderator to spell the word awesome.  

The little girl spelled it A-W-S-O-M-E.  

The moderator paused, and said, looking at the judges, "well, she missed the e but she was close enough, don't you think?"

And the judges nodded in agreement!

My mom and I looked at each other with major "what the H?" looks on our faces.  And then we just started laughing (and had to move away from the spelling bee to avoid making a scene).  

Seriously though...since when is "close enough" good enough in a spelling bee? Where do you draw the line?...one letter wrong is okay, but missing two is not? Isn't the purpose of a spelling bee to get kids to spell words correctly...not just "close enough"?

Anyway, that little girl's spelling wasn't so aw-some and she definitely didn't deserve a trophy, but she probably got one.  And I may be a mean old spinster, but since when does everybody have to be a winner?  I think not everyone deserves a trophy.  Even this kid...
probably didn't deserve that trophy...unless of course the competition was for most awesome mullet/tie-dye shirt combo, and in that case, his (her?) trophy was well-deserved.  

But seriously, I worry about kids these days.  Does the everyone gets a trophy generation grow into the majored in art history at an expensive private university and expects other people to pay off their student loans generation?  Probably.  (And, just for the record, even though my generation is quite privileged too I did pay off my own grad school student loans...so, even though I have a useless degree I did pay for it myself!)

But, in my estimation, one of the main problem with kids these days, and the root of their sense of entitlement...?...TRUNK or TREAT!  Seriously, kids today don't even have to work hard for their Halloween candy...people bring it to them now!  When I was a kid we had to work for our Halloween candy (which is why I felt completely justified in selling it to my brothers on sugar-deprived Sunday afternoons).  We had to dress up, go from house to house in the freezing cold, and walk up and down driveways and stairs.  Not to mention that inevitably a neighbor or two would find enjoyment in hiding outside and scaring us poor little kids, who were just in search of a little free sugar.  With the advent of Trunk or Treating, Halloween became a holiday for lazy, moochy kids.  

Yeah, yeah, the world isn't as safe as when I was a kid...that's why Trunk or Treat came about.  In my opinion though, you shouldn't let your kids Trick or Treat to people you don't know well enough to know that they aren't deranged people handing your kid a razor blade laden apple.  So I say, down with Trunk or Treat!  Have your kids only go to people you know...then they'll be safe, will have to work a little for their candy, and the older people (who are sitting at home waiting with candy) will get visited by Trick or Treaters.  

And, speaking of kids, the other day I was in the drive-through at the bank.  After I completed my transaction the teller (who I thought knew me, and knew that I was a childless spinster) asked me, "are there kids in your backseat?"  My heart dropped for a second as I jerked my head around to see if I'd somehow gotten into the wrong car at my previous stop and had inadvertently kidnapped somebody's kids.  But, fortunately, the teller had just forgotten me (and my childlessness) and was just wondering if I had kids in my heavily tinted backseat who wanted some Smarties.  Phew!




5 comments:

Battfam said...

I'm not a fan of the Trunk or Treat movement either for the very reasons you mentioned. Plus doesn't it add to the child obesity problem we hear about all the time? Kids can get such a large amount of candy in such a short amount of time with very little effort.
Lazy parents are the real problem. Kids are willing to brave the cold and dark, trampling their siblings to get to the door first for their Dum Dum or Smarties for hours, but most parents last 45 minutes to an hour tops.
You kids never came home with your tick or treat bags filled to overflowing like kids come away from Trunk or Treat. We gave out and called it quits long before that.

And the spelling bee...I still can't even believe it.

Corrine said...

I hope you said yes on the kids question. Free Smarties Becca! "Yes, I have 10 children in here."

Cassie said...

I am so glad (maybe you are so glad) I wasn't at the spelling bee. I hate the whole 'everyone wins'. What is going to happen when close enough doesn't count anymore? They could go pitch a tent in some park I guess. And now that kid (and all of the other 'winners' in the room) will forever spell awesome wrong. I know some people think I'm kind of a mean mom, but I'm just getting them ready for real life. (Yes, they have had to work their butts off at winning GoFish since they were tiny.) Can you tell the whole 'we are all winners' thing really burns me up?

I would have totally told her that I had 11 kids in my backseat because I LOVE smarties.

Lucy said...

The spelling bee thing is awful! Now I can see where those kids come from that are playing basketball with their little teams and cry when things don't go their way. If they are old enough to be on a team, they really need to be old enough to know that not every body gets to win every time. Kids that are cottled their whole lives don't end up winners, that's for sure.
I used to love trick or treat when we got lots of visitors. I was wondering what bag of treats could be worth a tank of gas, though....hehe

Louise said...

Ok.. I actually wrote a big long comment 2 weeks ago, but I failed to log in so it deleted my entire comment somehow. Then I was too annoyed to type it in again at the time. But, NOW, I am feeling rejuvenated on the subject. Yesterday, Glenn Beck said that all parents should take their children's participation trophies, etc. and smash them up and then put them in their kids stockings and tell their kids that they are losers unless they choose to excel. Though it is a little bluntly put, I do think this business of making sure nobody feels left out is a bunch of bull... Kids have lost the initiative to perform well or do their best because no matter what, everyone is rewarded so there are no hurt feelings. Still shaking my head over the spelling bee. What a bunch of twits.
I think you already know my feelings on trunk or treat. BOOOOOOOOOOOO!