March was a rough month in rural Southeastern Idaho, at least according to the police reports, as published by that great piece of journalistic work, The Jefferson Star.
I find the Rigby police reports quite entertaining. Almost as entertaining as the BYU police reports as printed in the Daily Universe. I think it's both a combination of the reasons people called 911 as well as the wording of whoever wrote up the police report for the Jefferson Star (I'm thinking it's a high school journalism student) that make the reports funny. Here are a few excerpts from Rigby 911, with my comments in italics. Enjoy!
March 4:
2:07 p.m. Theft reported in Rigby. Resident's roommate kept stealing stuff and threatening resident.
Oh no, not stealing "stuff!"
9:07 p.m. Disturbance reported in Roberts. Resident's stepmother was harassing him over the phone for having the police do a welfare check on her.
Two words: White Trash.
March 6:
3:02 p.m Disturbance reported in Roberts. Neighbors were fighting the whole morning.
911 dispatcher: "911, what's your emergency?"
Concerned citizen: "My neighbors have been fighting."
911 dispatcher: "How long?"
Concerned citizen: "The whole morning."
911 dispatcher: "Did you say the whole morning?"
Concerned citizen: "Yes."
911 dispatcher: "We'll send an officer right out."
March 7:
1:57 p.m. Animals reported in Lewisville. Resident went to clean a vacant house and discovered it was full of cats.
Police are currently searching for the cats' Spinster owner.
3:17 p.m. Traffic complaint reported in Rigby. A vehicle hauling animal parts was dropping intestines and such on the road.
I wonder what "such" looks like.
8:55 p.m. Disturbance reported in Terreton. Neighbors were screaming and banging on the walls.
Wow, they must have been screaming really loud since Terreton is a rural community with the homes all spread out. That must have been some disturbance!
March 8
5:41 p.m. Theft reported on State Street in Rigby. A resident was pick-pocketed.
Well, next time I go to Rigby, I'm wearing my fanny pack on the front. I'm not taking any chances.
March 9
10:49 a.m. Fraud reported in Rigby. Resident received a call to buy something at Wal-Mart and she would receive $1,000,000.
This reminds me of a guy I know who got ripped off after emailing money to theUN@hotmail.com.
March 10
10:09 a.m. nuisance reported in Rigby. A meat truck was leaving a "blood trail," causing an awful odor.
I hope they can follow the trail and find the offending meat truck. There can't be that many meat trucks in Rigby, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to track it down and punish it.
12:40 a.m. Suspicious circumstances reported in Rigby. Resident found her vehicle's hood open and it looked like someone was messing with her car.
"Who's been messing with my car?"
9:29 a.m Fraud reported in Terreton. Resident stated she received charges on her credit card that she did not make in Chicago.
Hey lady, call your credit card company, not 911. Somebody buying deep-dish pizza on your card does not constitute an emergency.
12:35 p.m. Disturbance reported at Hwy 20 near Rigby. Someone was flipping resident off and screaming at her while driving.
Dear fellow driver, please accept my sincerest apologies.
March 16
11:46 a.m. Fire reported in Menan. A chimney caught on fire but resident wouldn't let the fire department enter the property.
Hmmm what were you cooking on that fire?
March 17
9:53 p.m. Animal reported in Rigby. Resident's neighbor shot resident's cat with a bow and arrow.
Quote by Anonymous (who was with me when I wrote this post): "What a dummy. Every person I know who has shot a cat with a bow and arrow has said that the cat didn't die immediately but ran home with the arrow still in it."
Brother of Anonymous: "How many people do you know who have shot a cat with a bow and arrow?"
Anonymous: "I don't know...like two."
March 18
8:59 a.m. Animal reported in Lewisville. A resident witnessed someone shock his dog excessively.
7 p.m. Disturbance reported in Menan. Resident tried to take pictures of her father's property and her sister wouldn't let her.
March 20
12:01 a.m. Theft reported on State Street in Rigby. Someone was using business wi-fi while in the parking lot.
Oh crap, I've done that like a million times. Never been busted though. Phew!
March 21
7:40 a.m. Animal reported at County Line Road near Idaho Falls. A cat was hit by a car and was seriously injured.
Quote by anonymous: "That's nothing. I hit two cats last week...and a dog...and an antelope. They were all suicidal. I felt bad about the dog though. Because I was eating a cracker while I was driving...a club cracker. And then I looked up and all of a sudden there was a dog in front of me. I didn't even have time to stop."
Sadly, this account by anonymous is true. But, I think it's even more sad that someone called 911 to report hitting a cat. Seriously, the police have better things to do...like eat donuts.
Well, now that I've emphasized the stupidity of some of my fellow Idahoans, I'll leave you to read and decide which entry from the police report is your favorite. And then you can leave me a comment and tell me. Because if you don't, I'm calling 911 and telling them that I've got a bunch of people who keep reading my blog and never leave me comments and I even know who some of them are. And then in next week's Jefferson Star you'll see an entry like this:
"Resident says people are reading her blog and not commenting. Resident has names and addresses of some of the perpetrators. Police are investigating."
"Resident says people are reading her blog and not commenting. Resident has names and addresses of some of the perpetrators. Police are investigating."


15 comments:
I can't really pick a favorite, but I was thinking that if the truck that was dropping intestines on the road on the 7th was the same one still driving around leaving a bloody trail on the 10th, that probably really was
stinky.
Also, thanks for the tip about how to wear my fanny pack when I shop in Rigby.
I loved your sincerest apologies for flipping off and screaming at that poor driver. You even said please!
I loved the one in Roberts causing a "disturance" and then your rendition of the call! "How long? The whole morning. Did you say the whole morning? Yes. We will send an officer right out!" Loved it!
I love it all! At least here we get a tv show. I think it's called Police Women of Dallas. So the yelling one in Terreton - must have been the hispanics in the trailer park. They are the only ones that live close enough to hear anything.
I say "getting flipped off" is pretty dang funny!!
Mardi, Are you sure? I thought it might be your mom trying to get your dad to hear her. I thought maybe he was turning his bad ear toward her.
I laughed so hard and it made me sooo homesick. My favorite has to be the various meat trucks. Why are there so many meat trucks in Jefferson County?
I want to know if there is an update on the cat that was seriously injured. Do we know if he made it or not?
No word on the cat, Cassie. I'm hoping the paramedics were able to save it and get it back to its owner. And, I'm really hoping that it wasn't one of the two cats that Anonymous hit.
P.S. just for the record, I swerve for cats.
Ooops, what I meant is that I swerve to avoid hitting cats (as well as skunks, mice, birds, and dogs). I may have sold my MoTab tickets for 200 dollars, but I'm not a completely heartless person.
You really shouldn't swerve to avoid hitting things. It's very dangerous. I'm pretty sure Anonymous doesn't try to hit things. His/her unwillingness to swerve and potentially roll/wreck doesn't mean that he/she is heartless. It just means that he/she is a smart driver.
Mr. Shell
Wow, even my old driver's ed teacher reads my blog? I'm so honored. I'll work on my driving skills...and will no longer swerve to avoid animals. Thanks for the reminder.
I just didn't have any idea what I was missing out on when I quit taking the Jefferson Star in 1996. Who said there's no news in Jefferson County?
I also liked the "how long? all morning!"
p.s. I wonder why my feature that tells me when someone blogs doesn't always work. Dang blogspot. Call 911?
Those were too funny! Gotta love the Rigby Star. Almost as good as Idaho TV news. One night we were watching & they said someone had broken into a business & the police arrested the victim.....
Pretty sure my favorite has to be the cat shot with a bow and arrow because if all the Batt boys still lived in the area I'd have several good ideas about who the perpetrator might be!
Post a Comment