Happy 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th of July! Those are the days SE Idaho chose this year to celebrate the 4th of July. I guess we Idahoans just like to spread out our Independence Day celebrations. We're a patriotic bunch. Well, except for the J-dubs.
Anyway, my family chose the 3rd as our day to celebrate since that's the day the Idaho Falls fireworks were going to be. And what would Independence Day be without fabulous fireworks accompanied by mediocre music?
I want the address of whoever chose the music that accompanied the fireworks this year because I'm going to toilet paper their house and give them a wedgie. Seriously, the music is always slightly questionable but this year it was horrible. But the fireworks were awesome, as usual. (Thank you Franky V.)
Anyway, being in the festive mood that I was, I decided to whip up a pretty dang fantastic (at least that's what people told me) patriotic dream cake to take to barbecue numero uno of the night.
Barbecue numero uno was at my Uncle Doyle's house. He's the type of guy who rigs up a potato gun of sorts that he uses to shoot candy way up in the air for all the kids to run and gather. So, obviously, he's pretty popular. And his wife Karen is a super good cook so we couldn't have been happier to accept their invitation.
Here are all the kids going crazy for the candy.
Are potato guns illegal in Idaho? I really doubt it, but if they are will someone let me know ASAP so I can remove this part of the post before my uncle gets busted? Thanks.
I googled "Are potato guns illegal in Idaho?" and the only thing that came up were a bunch of websites telling how to make a potato gun, so I think we're safe, but let me know if you know differently.
Being somewhat popular (or pitied) ourselves we got invited to another barbecue at my Aunt Lucy's house. So, to mix things up a bit I decided to make a patriotic fruit pizza. I'm really into flag desserts this year if you can't already tell.
I picked the strawberries out of my grandma's garden that morning so they were extra delicious and all-natural tasting.
My Aunt Lucy is also an excellent cook and, come to find out, so is her husband, Jay. He made some pretty awesome dutch oven chicken. Yes, we ate two meals within a couple of hours of each other...don't judge me. It was a holiday.
And, we even got a third invite to go to my Aunt Ellen's in Rexburg but we just couldn't make it to three barbecues (both timewise and stomach space wise) in one night so we decided to stick to the two that were closer to the fireworks. Too bad though, because my Aunt Ellen is also an excellent cook (we have a lot of good cooks in our family) and fruit cutter upper...she always makes the best fruit trays.
Here are some of the kiddos playing at barbecue numero dos. I love their back yard...so pretty!
Really, I didn't take too many pictures last night...that's why my pictures are kind of lame-o.
I took the most pictures of this little guy...
But how could I resist? He's just so handsome and happy.
And check out his blanket...I made it and it's pretty cute (if I do say so myself).
Anyway, then on to the fireworks. We were later than usual because of trying to squeeze in two barbecues in one night. Normally we park our car and then walk around the greenbelt for awhile, just to see the interesting array of people that somehow surface every 4th of July in Idaho Falls.
Ty drove to the fireworks because he's the most aggressive driver I know (due to his time driving in Uganda and Ethiopia)...and he got us through the crowds and home from the fireworks in no time at all!
So, if a white Nissan Sentra cut you off last night on your way home from the fireworks I apologize...it was probably us.
Oh, and if you can't tell, Ty wasn't too happy about me taking his picture. Good thing he was wearing his fancy anti-glare safety goggles so my flash wouldn't blind his eyes.
Well, until the next 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th of July...
15 comments:
Fun night! And that fruit pizza was divine. Bobbi only got about a 1 inch piece, but said it was the best she's tasted. I love flag desserts on the 4th...even though I don't think I've ever made one. Cassie was good at that.
Happy 3rd to you, too.
This was so awesome. I loved every second of it.
I agree with you 100% on the music this year played during the fireworks. The fruit pizza was delicious and the dream cake looked just as tasty.
That looks like a great 3rd of July we missed....All those fun cook-outs, the patriotic desserts, the kids. Oh well, it's the last one we'll miss.
Too bad the music wasn't up to par with the fireworks. I hate when that happens.
I love Ty's safety goggles. They must be from his job, right?
Looks like a fun day! and yummy too. (I hope you were able to get your hands on some good watermelon.)
We've done the multi day party here too, and it is great. I can hear some going off right now.
What a holiday!
Ty's still a cutie when he's mad.
First of all thanks for letting us tag along to the Batt location for the Meleluca show! They were excelent seats and getting home wasn't too bad at all! Last year i swear we didn't get home til 1am!
Also, thanks for sharing your delicious desserts.... that being said, I saw that back/side shot of me in one of your pics, and I will no longer be enjoying your or anyones tasty desserts any longer... my father in law said "pictures don't lie". I am thinking that they sorta hurt though!! Wowa!
Love the glasses and the focus on the road!
Question #1: where can I find someone to shower me with candy?
Question #2 doesn't even matter now because all I can think about is candy-showers.
Dear everyone who might wonder why there are three comments deleted on this post and call me wondering if something weird is going on with my blog (MOM),
For some reason when I was posting the comments it wasn't working so I was having to copy and paste the comments in and put them all as anonymous. But, today the comments finally showed up and there were duplicates so I deleted the duplicates.
That's all. Nothing weird.
My kid is cute, I won't lie.
O-Doyle rules too.
hey, I'm having comment problems, too. Mine still don't show up. Who's in charge of this thing anyway? (don't know who to ask what's going on...)
Lucy,
I think it's a problem with blogger. Hopefully they'll get it fixed soon!
Sounds like you had a great holiday! Your desserts looked fabulous! I'm sure you'll carry on the family tradition of being an amazing cook.
Post a Comment