Friday, November 6, 2009

Banana Laffy Taffy Anyone?

Here's the candy all separated, organized, counted, and ready for shipping to Brazil. Why did I count EVERYTHING, you ask? Well... 1. So that I could know just how much candy I bought for under 40 dollars (once you subtract out the cost of the Halloween decorations) and once again feel awesome and lucky for getting it so cheap. 2. To make things easier when my mom makes the little candy packages for all of the missionaries. Since I don't have 150 of some things and have way more than 150 of other things she can plan out how to divvy up the candy and all the missionaries will get their fair share...especially since my dad has already been showing some of the missionaries pictures of all the candy I'm sending. 3. To stop me from eating it before I get it shipped off, because I don't want to have to re-count or re-organize it. And, since it is counted, if I did decide to eat any more I'd know exactly what I ate. 4. To stop my dad from eating it when it gets to Brazil. Since it is all counted he can't claim that he "only had 2 pieces" or something, as he has maybe been known to do in the past. So, here's the final count. And this doesn't include all of the candy I've already eaten and given away (which is quite a bit)...
  • 200 Fun Dip Packs
  • 300 Reece's PB Cups
  • 1200 Dum Dums
  • 175 boxed of Milk Duds
  • 80 packs of Runts
  • 90 boxes of Nerds
  • 102 Sweet Tarts (Does anyone eat these other than at Halloween and Valentine's Day?)
  • 96 Smarties
  • 640 Kit Kats (oops, perhaps a few too many!)
  • 76 Whopper packs
  • 110 Hershey's Bars (Candy for boring people)
  • 110 Almond Joy
  • 360 little Twizzler packs
  • 166 Strawberry Laffy Taffy
  • 181 Banana Laffy Taffy (Yuck!)
  • 63 Misc Reece's candy...Fast Break, Reece's Pieces, Fast Break, and Whipps
  • 128 other random candy...Take5, suckers, Dove Chocolates, Hershey's miniatures, etc.
I'm for sure not sending all of the Dum Dums or Fun Dips, as those will last, and I can take them to share with the kids in Panama next year. Besides, they don't get much candy and they won't know that Dum Dums and Fun Dips are kind of the bottom of the candy barrel. And, kids like gross/weird candy. Looking back I can't believe that as a kid I used to spend money on bubble gum cigars, wax candy lips, ring pops, weird gummy stuff, etc. What is wrong with kids' taste in candy? Anyway, I'll probably give away some of the Kit Kats too instead of shipping them all, as I could give each missionary 4 and still have 40 to spare! But my big dilemma is...do I even bother sent the banana Laffy Taffies or should I just throw them away or scatter them throughout Pioneer Park? Do real people actually like banana Laffy Taffies? Will any of the missionaries like them? I don't want to scare the Brazilians away from North American candy since it is usually the best. They must make banana Laffy Taffies for some reason, but I don't know anyone who likes them. Even in my family, and we AREN'T too picky when it comes to candy, the banana Laffy Taffy was a frequenter of the reject candy drawer. Missionaries are a pretty easy crowd to please when it comes to food though. So maybe the banana Laffy Taffies will be okay. Some missionaries in my parents' mission once ate a pan of brownies that someone made for an object lesson in church that was made with no sugar and double the oil or something. So, I'm not really too worried about sending some borderline gross candy, but I just don't want to waste precious shipment space that could be used instead to send my parents "necessities" like tortillas, Hershey's syrup, tomato juice, etc. That's why the banana Laffy Taffies may be on the chopping block.

13 comments:

Battfam said...

You know how I feel about banana anything. I say give them the toss. BTW,thanks for getting all that candy organized for me. It will save me a lot of time. I think you left out one reason you did all that though. Let's face it, we're all fascinated with piles of candy. Who doesn't fondly remember the Trick-or-Treating days? "Candy is dandy!" "Sweet" work, Becca! And Russell's favorite; "Thanks a Mint"

Battfam said...

P. S. Why is Hershey's chocolate boring? I hadn't heard that one.

Becca's Blog said...

It just is. I don't know why. Maybe because it has no nuts, coconut, peanut butter, etc. It is just plain old boring chocolate.

Oh, and thanks for all those great candy quotes. Hopefully you won't get some mean comment from Russell about it. You know how he is about cheesiness.

Lucy said...

good looking candy piles!

Curtis and Crystal said...

Great job Becca!!! I can't believe how much candy you bought for such a good deal. I'm sure the missionaries will be happy when they see it.

LD said...

All flavors of Laffy Taffy are gross, but the jokes are choice. I say give it to the missionaries to enrich their senses of humor.

Anonymous said...

Not "Thanks a Mint." I had almost forgotten about that. Now I have to go buy a bag of Yorks to numb the pain.

kiddle97 said...

Let me know if you need more Hershey's syrup to send to your parents. Whenever I send Brent to the grocery store, I send him with a list. I have not ever put Hershey's syrup on the list. He always comes back with a bottle. We (I should say "I") hardly ever use it. At one point we had three in storage. I don't send Brent to the store anymore. :)

AZ Fireant said...

Banana Laffy Taffies are the WORST! The smell is bad and then there is the flavor to consider. Toss them out!

Becky said...

I hate banana Laffy Taffys!!... But Toby and Jayce Love them... I really can't figure out why!!

Becca's Blog said...

What? Toby and Jayce love them? I guess I won't have to spread that bag of banana laffy taffies around Pioneer Park! I'll just drop them off at your house!

jenniferthornton said...

Don't give me any of the banana laffy taffy, but they are the only ones I'll eat. I also only eat the banana runts. PS Hershey's chocolate syrup is nast. and not for human consumption.

Jen said...

i also love the banana laffy taffies for the record. and thanks for making john and i laugh with your blog posts.