Thursday, February 23, 2012

MoLent


Ash Wednesday...the beginning of Lent.  Or, for me, the beginning of MoLent...Mormon Lent.  I know I'm not Catholic.  And although the Catholics have had some pretty bad ideas in the past like:

Inquisitions
Indulgences
and
Incense (makes for stinky cathedrals)

...I do think they're on to something with the idea of Lent.  


I first learned a little about the Catholic traditions leading up to Easter while serving a mission in 90+% Catholic Argentina.  I didn't pay too much attention to the whole Lent and fasting thing until one evening, about six months into my time in Argentina, when my Uruguayan companion decided she wanted to stop by our local hamburger stand and order a hamburger on our way home that night...a hamburger at 9:30 p.m.?...I won't judge, I won't judge.  

Anyway, she stepped up to the counter and asked for a hamburger.  "A hamburger?," the man at the counter asked back.  "Yes, a hamburger," my companion reiterated.  "Oh, okay," the man said, "let me go see if we have any buns." Upon returning he told her, "we don't have any buns because we weren't planning on serving any hamburgers today, but we can serve your hamburger on bread instead if you'd like."  My companion and I looked at each other with a "what the heck kind of a hamburger stand doesn't have buns because they weren't planning on serving hamburgers?" look on our faces and left the stand after my companion kindly declined the man's hamburger sandwich offer.  

As we walked home we discussed the oddness of the hamburger stand that didn't want to serve hamburgers.  Back at our apartment, while planning for the next day, I noticed on my calendar the words "Good Friday" stamped across the day's date and instantly realized why the man at the hamburger stand was so perplexed that we wanted to order a hamburger from him.  It was Good Friday...and Argentina is Catholic...and Catholics don't eat meat on Good Friday.  Then we got the giggles.  At the thought of two sister missionaries trying to order a hamburger on the biggest anti-meat day of the year.  

Anyway, I quickly learned that I needed to know a little more about Catholicism since it seemed to be synonymous with being Argentine.  And I'm no expert for sure, but my time in Latin America, as well as the explanations of a good Catholic friend I made in SLC, have helped me understand their traditions a little more than I did on that Good Friday long ago.  

As I've learned more about Lent I've decided that it's a really good idea...to give up something that's maybe hard to give up...just for a short time.  This year for the first time, I decided to start a tradition (maybe a tradition, if this year doesn't kill me) of doing MoLent.  Catholic Lent is, I think, 46 days long...the time between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday because traditionally Sundays were already a day of sacrifice and fasting so they wouldn't count them as part of the 40 days.  But, as a Mormon, I think I'll just stick to the 40 days, like Jesus did.  Besides I'm going on a trip at the beginning of April and don't want to be all MoLenty and boring on the trip, so the 46 days of Catholic Lent just won't work for me this year.    

I decided to start off my MoLent tradition with a bang (hopefully a good bang)...giving up sugar and t.v./movies for 40 days and 40 nights. 

So, wish me luck...or join me if you want.  I'd love to hear what you'd be willing to give up for MoLent...candy, pop, the SNOOZE button, t.v., the Internet, Facebook?...What would you like to see yourself survive without for a time?  You should do it...I dare you...



7 comments:

Battfam said...

Last night there was a Catholic priest on Fox News that had an ashy cross on his forehead too. I had no idea that was part of Lent. Do they keep that for the whole 46 days or is that just on the kick-off day? Also I am really wondering what that sweet little boy in the picture would have to give up? He's just a little boy. Maybe he teases his little sister or sneaks in the chocolate chips or something.

Two more things: Good luck with your MoLent goals and when you get a chance will you please explain that cartoon with the mice to me because I don't get it.

Kim-may said...

is "cheeses" supposed to sound like "jesus?"

Becca's Blog said...

Yeah, I when I looked at the cartoon I said the caption to myself in my head in a squeaky little mouse voice and it came out sounding just like "Jesus." So I guess it was funny to me because of that. I guess I should have put a caption on it saying "Read in squeaky mouse voice for best results." But I didn't.

Becca's Blog said...

Oh and mom I think the ash crosses on the heads are just for kick off day...Ash Wednesday. I think they use ashes from burning wood on Palm Sunday from the previous year...or something like that. I guess you can Wikipedia it if you want more info. I don't really know too much about it except that my Catholic friend Tara said it's really annoying to be a Catholic in Utah on Ash Wednesday because all day people are telling her that she has "pen or something" smeared on her head.

Lucy said...

I remember our lunch room only serving fish on Friday's ....never any other meat.
Good goals. good thing you didn't ban yourself from the net!

Chris and Cindy said...

I'm impressed Becca!!! Good Luck!

Christa said...

Good luck! I did no sweets for Lent...it hard but worth it!.....I think.