Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Back from the land of bobble-headers...it's Becca's Blog!



Hello earthlings.  


After a fantastic month in India, and a long trip back (Kolkata to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Chicago, Chicago to Denver, and Denver to Idaho Falls), I'm finally back home in the US of A.  And now it's time to:


1) get ready for my parents' return in 15 days!
2) finish blogging India (as well as other trips I haven't yet blogged)
3) work on my to do list... particularly that ever-present task of "figure out what to do with the rest of my life"...I always seem to be working on that one and never seem to get it checked off.  


Although I won't miss: dodging loogies, getting bamboozled, train stations, filth, rats, power outages, and sadness...I will miss a lot of things about India.  


Like the Indian bobble-head.  
Indians bobble-head...a lot.  So some stereotypes are true.  When an Indian bobble-heads to you it can mean several things...

It may mean "yes"
It may mean "maybe"
It may mean "no"
It may mean "I don't know"

But really it means, "I want to please everyone by remaining neutral on everything, so I'm not going to give you any type of a strong answer in any way...especially a strong "no"."  So frustrating!

And sometimes Indians bobble-head just when they're talking and not giving an answer...maybe it's out of habit or maybe their neck muscles are just really loose...I don't know.  Like when the McDonald's employee said to me, (we only went to Micky D's once...I promise...we just wanted to see what a beef-less McDonald's menu would be like) "ma'am, if you are wanting your Maharaja Mac without cheese you will be having to wait five minutes."  And he looked so sad...to make me have to wait five minutes.  But I was glad to wait five minutes if it meant that I wouldn't have to have my Maharaja Mac covered in that fake bright orange "cheese" that McDonald's uses everywhere in the world.  

Anyway, as frustrating as the bobble heading can be, I'll kind of miss it.  

And Indian food.  Oh how I'll miss the food.  Even though a couple of times I had to say "fire, fire, fire" to Marissa as I fanned my mouth and quickly reached for some water to extinguish the burn in my throat.  I especially will miss the daal and naan.  I love daal and naan...probably because they are pretty mild in spice.  I've always liked Indian food, but I thought I only liked Americanized Indian food.  Before I went to China several years ago I thought..."ooh, yummy, I'm going to love the food in China because I really like P.F. Changs, Fongs and the Canton."  But then I got to China and realized that what I liked was Americanized Chinese food, and not Chinese food from China...the real Chinese food was mostly scary and disgusting.  So I thought the same would apply to Indian food.  I thought that even though I liked the Indian food I've tried in the U.S. and U.K., that I wouldn't like real India Indian food.  


And I think I thought..."it will be an awesome month in India...I'll see the sights, dislike the food and starve myself a bit, and hopefully will pick up a tapeworm or other weight-loss inducing parasite...I'll for sure lose at least five or ten pounds during my month in India."  


And I have to admit...I even had already daydreamed a little about the tapeworm I was sure I'd come home with.  I was going to name him Tim...Tapeworm Tim.  And then after he took up resident in my stomach and sucked all the nutrition and fat out of me, thereby changing my life, I'd write a book about him called "Thank you Tapeworm Tim," and then I'd go on the Today Show and talk about how a tapeworm changed my life...and then I'd sell that book, along with little hermaphroditic proglottid pieces of Tapeworm Tim so that other people's lives could be changed for the good as well.  I guess I daydream about weird things.  


But instead of disliking the food...I liked it.  And instead of coming home with a nice little parasite, all I came home with was a heinous rash on my arm and a sprained ankle.  And I didn't lose a pound...not a single pound.  So much for the India diet...it doesn't work...at least not for me!  Another shattered dream...


Oh well.  I'll blog more India later.  In the meantime...remember not to be a blog parasite yourself!  My blog gets tons of hits every day and very few comments...and I know that all my blog hits can't be from just random Chinese people.  So, don't be a leech!  I may love tapeworms (or the thought of getting one) but I despise leeches!  Oh how I despise leeches...

12 comments:

Emily said...

Your parents are coming home! Yeah for you--sad for Brazil! I can't believe you would actually want a tapeworm-blah!

Battfam said...

I know what naan is but what is daan?

Glad you are back at home safe and sound.

Battfam said...

I forgot to ask about your heinous rash. Is it really bad or do you just like to say heinous rash?

Lucy said...

Welcome home Becca!!
That place sounds amazing, but I'm still not planning on ever going there. See you tomorrow.

kiddle97 said...

Tapeworm Tim! Tapeworm Tim! If only he'd come home with you, maybe somehow I could borrow him and lose a few pounds too. Another shattered dream. :)

Becca's Blog said...

Mil, daal is a lentil/bean dish. It's really good. You'd like it, I'm sure. Maybe you can make naan and I can make daal and we can have a little Indian party when you get home.

Oh, and my rash isn't really all that heinous anymore. I guess I just feel that anytime I use the word "rash" I also need to use the word "heinous" because all rashes are heinous to me.

Candace said...

I have to admit, lately when reading about the various natural disasters around the world, I think about you and wonder if you are there or affected by it. Jealous of all your travel fun!

Cassie said...

I noticed that while I was reading the post I kept bobbing my head back and forth. Glad enjoyed it.

Tallie, Aaron, Sterling, Avalon, Truman and Quin said...

Have you every seen outsourced? They explained the bobble head on that, too. I agree with you about Indian food. It is amazing.

Dave and Candace said...

I'm leaving a comment Becca . . . wouldn't want to be a leech. I'm so excited for you that your parents will be home soon! And I'm glad you had a great trip . . . but somehow all your trips seem great . . . if I were to go on a foreign trip I'd want it to be with you. You make everything fun . . . even loogies, rats, and power outages. :)

Be Strong and Courageous said...

I wouldn't be a blog leech except if you saw my "bobble-head" professor that I have a 3 1/2 hour long class from on Monday afternoons following a 3 1/2 hour long "Trauma" class, following a 4 hour drive to Missoula Montana, you would understand my need for reading blogs to keep my SANITY! I carest not much about Privilege and Oppression and will probably be a terrible therapist for anyone who isn't straight, white, and Mormon! haha not really, but get real how many classes in Diversity do I have to endure? love you Becca and loved the Tim the Tapeworm story. I had a missionary (one of the many you know) who went to Korea and described some great experiences in his letters with tapeworms....sick!
Cindy

Jenkins Family said...

I bet I could find a tapeworm for you in Florida. I love Indian food too sounds like you had fun!